Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Behind the Layout

Behind the Layout - is a feature on Scrapbook Challenges Blog that gives you an insight into the Design Team Member's thought process, as they begin the process of creating a layout, using a sketch.

I'd like to share a little "behind the scenes" info with you, on how I put together my layout for SKETCH # 396.   First off - the sketch is a 2 pager.  Now, I've pretty much been a 2 page scrapper for most of the years I've been scrapping, but I'd say, over the last 2 years or so - I've really come to LOVE 1 page layouts.
Here is the sketch:


I decided to only focus on the LEFT page of the sketch ( yes, you can do that - and you can create 2 pages on 1 page sketches too - so don't ever let that stop you from playing along! )  I picked the left page, because I have quite a few 8x10 photos that I have sitting around from our past Disney Cruises, and I thought this would be a great way to get one on a page, and in a book!  ( PS -still not in a book! - yet!!)

SO - starting with the large photo - I decided to use Bazzill Red and Navy Cardstock to double mat it - and pop out the colors on MICKEY's jacket.  I then chose BoBunny Double Dot Designs - 12" Licorice Flourish - as the Base for the layout, and then added a piece of BoBunny Somewhere in Time ( the gold piece) along the bottom.



The pre-printed frames on the photos from Disney make scrapping them a little difficult, as they hold information and elements that I don't always want to cover up - for example, the dates of our cruise, the ship we sailed on, that it was a cruise to Hawaii, and it was Pirates of the Caribbean night.  I decided to cut a circle out of the black base paper ( before gluing down the double matted photo) and use that as the circle element in the sketch.

Next came the embellishing - my favorite part!  I love digging through my "scrap stash" to see what I can come up with, that will help to highlight what is going on in the photo, and add dimension, texture and interest to the layout.

I chose to use a piece of burlap behind the black circle and tuck a few color coordinating feathers in behind it, to create different textures.  

Other materials used:
K and Co Classic Gold embellie ??
Heidi Swapp Black and White Buzz Words
Thickers - Sunrise Gold Letters
Paper Wizard Pirate Mine Skull and Swords
Red and White polka dot Washi Tape
Jillibean Soup - Wood Sprinkles
Scrap-a-Doodle Doo Mickey Gem Head embellie
Distress Stains - Tarnished Brass and Vintage Photo

I always like to put a "Hidden Mickey" somewhere on my Disney Layouts - can you find it?

Thanks for stopping by,
~Sherri

1 comment:

  1. What a fun page. Love how you focused on the left side. Like you, I have started to do more one page sketches. But from time to time I will still do a two pager.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I would love to hear from you!